Thursday 3 June 2010

Defensive Dragon


So, I've been away for awhile... but I'm back!

Here is something I'll be working through to a finished painting, basically because "I've decided to paint a dragon." These are some preliminary sketches of it-- I'd like to have her peering out from a very dark shadowed place, and her recoil is from the bright light which has surprised her somewhat.

One thing I didn't like about the second sketch is that I overworked the highlights on the dragon's head, which lost the mood of the lighting, in my opinion. So that will be something I need to remember as I tighten up the drawing. I am also planning on making a maquette to photograph, since this anatomy is in such an awkward position that I suspect it will be nearly impossible to make it convincing otherwise!

I am currently planning on painting this in oils, but that could change... I should be posting progress again by next weekend. Please check back to see how she progresses!

2 comments:

  1. Sketches are looking good Abby. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out. You wouldn't by chance be planning on posting some photos of your maquette would you? I'd like to see how you do it. I just updated my most recent post to include my maquette. It would be interesting to compare and contrast.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made my maquette yet but I will definitely post photos when I do! I took a look at yours and I love it, it must have been very helpful for your Forest Dragon. Can't imagine painting only at night though, so I'll probably set up the light as I want it and take a photograph to work from.

    ReplyDelete